Sunday, February 27, 2011

Movies 2010





Picture from iStockphoto



Tonight is the Oscars, and being a complete film buff (some would say movie snob), I have decided to look back at the films of 2010 with this post.  You may be wondering a few things.  First, most people do their film review of 2010 at the end of 2010, and it is almost March 2011.  Very true, but I don't get to see some of the previous year until the early into the next year.  Often times, it takes award shows that come after the new year for a film that is worth watching to get known.  Also, it is often the case that when a film comes out, it is in limited release and doesn't open at the local theater until January or February.  I allow myself some time to catch up on what I can and then give my favorites. 

By the way, I haven't seen every film of 2010.  Not even close.  I am a teacher, so I don't have the time to go out and see every film.  Therefore, what I discuss here is based on the 30-40 or so films I saw last year. 

Finally, I realize this is generally an education and current events blog.  But there is more to my interests in life than that, and I have never set out to put limitations in what I would discuss on this blog.  Films are a real passion of mine, and I don't mind using this blog to discuss them (it's my blog, and I'll do what I wanna).  I have even thought about doing my own film reviews on this blog, and I still haven't ruled that out yet.

In any case, directly below are my Top 10 films of 2010.  As I said, there are many films I did not see in 2010, so that may be why certain movies did not make the less.  Nonetheless, here is the list of the best movies I did see:



Picture from Screen Rant

1) The Social Network
2) Black Swan
3) The King’s Speech
4) Inception
5) Shutter Island
6) The Town
7) Winter's Bone
8) Restrepo
9) Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
10) Dinner For Schmucks





Next, here is the list of who I think SHOULD win Oscars tonight, not my prediction who will win.  As far as best picture goes, I have no idea who it will go to (it will, of course, be between The Social Network and The King's Speech).  In any case, here are my personal picks:


Best Picture: The Social Network
Best Actor: Colin Firth, The King's Speech
Best Actress: Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale, The Fighter
Best Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo, The Fighter
Best Director: Darren Aronoksfy, Black Swan (Won't Win Though)
Adapted Screenplay: Aaron Sorkin, The Social Network
Original Screenplay: David Seidler, The King's Speech
Best Documentary: Restrepo
Most Deserving Production Category Nominee: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, The Social Network (Music-Original Score)

Finally, here is a list of miscellaneous awards of my own.
 
Worst Movie: Alice in Wonderland
Funniest Movie: (Tie) Dinner For Schmucks/Hot Tub Time Machine
Best Action Movie: Inception
Best Drama: The Social Network
Saddest Movie: Restrepo
Best Action Sequence: Fight scene in the dream hotel, Inception
Best Suspense Film: Inception
WTF Movie of the Year: Black Swan
Best Love Scene: Natalie Porman and Mila Kunis, Black Swan
Funniest Scene: Hotel room, drug-induced fight scene, Get Him To The Greek
Best Romantic Comedy: Scott Pilgrim vs The World (hey, technically, it is a romantic comedy)
Best 3D Movie: Jackass 3D (OK, this was the only 3D movie I watched this year)
Biggest Oscar Snub: Emma Stone, Easy A (Best Actress Category)
Honorary Mention:  Winter's Bone.  I mention it because I come from rural Missouri, where this film is shot and takes place.  Now, I do come from central Missouri, and the film takes place in southern Missouri in the Ozarks.  Still, I am familiar enough with the life and culture of the area, and am quite impressed how authentic it looks.  In addition, one of the major roles in the film was given to a local wire-cutter in one of the towns near-by.  Kudos to Hollywood on this one!

No comments: