Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Video for Sunday

 Photo from The Urban Daily

Recently, I have been listening to the late Manning Marable's biography of Malcolm X on audiobook, Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention.  So far, it is a fascinating book, and I am learning a lot about Malcolm that I never knew (and some things I am sure he didn't want people to know).  As I listen to it, I keep thinking back to Spike Lee's classic film, Malcolm X based partially upon Malcolm's famous autobiography. 

 Photo from Rotten Tomatoes

It is a film that is about as good as any biopic I have ever seen.  It is also a film that, as a white person, helps me understand the significance of what Malcolm truly meant to African-Americans, despite the racially-charged language he used in his time as a member of the Nation of Islam.  I feel a good clip for a Sunday is the scene where Malcolm (played masterfully by Denzel Washington) is still in prison (after recently converting to Islam), and he challenges the prison chaplain on the race of Jesus.

Unfortunately, I cannot embed the clip to my blog.  But you can view it here.

No comments: