Friday, December 16, 2011

Christopher Hitchens, 1949-2011

 Photo fro The Guardian

I just woke up and found out about the news.  I am very sad, but not surprised.  His health had been rapidly deteriorating since he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer last year.  In more recent years, as I have come to embrace my atheism, Hitchens became a personal hero of mine.  No one spoke more about the evils of belief and theism quite like Hitch.  No one was as witty and well-written as Hitch on this subject, or most other subjects for that matter.  While I didn't always agree with him on other issues, I have always respected the passion and fearlessness he carried for his words and convictions.  Here is an excerpt from a post I wrote earlier in the year on Hitchens:

It was, of course, extremely disheartening when Hitchens announced his illness this past year.  One would think that being so close to death might make him become recluse, reconsider his non belief, and perhaps feel the need to seek out comfort in a spiritual manner.  But not Hitch.  In fact, rather than hide away from the world or turn to Jesus, he has continued to write, speak, and debate about the religious on the side of secularism and rationalism.  And he is still as good at it as anyone that is out there. 

I imagine that fans of his all over the world will be having a glass in memory of this wonderful man. I will include myself in this category.  Rest In Peace, Christopher.  We will miss you!

No comments: