Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Why Breaking Bad Makes Science Look Good

Photo from Deadline.com


I love the show Breaking Bad. The show about Walter White, a cancer-stricken chemistry teacher turned crystal meth cooker, is well written, well acted, highly suspenseful, and one of the best shows on TV.  And one of the things I have thought to myself when watching the show is that Walter makes chemistry look like a lot of fun, and I'm not talking about the fact that he cooks meth (that part of it is quite wrong).  Throughout the series, Walter has used chemistry in various scenarios to either get what he wants, or get out of difficult situations. 

He is like a chemical McGiver.  I have often thought to myself, "I wish this show wasn't so inappropriate, so a high school science teacher could show it to their class, because it makes chemistry look like so much cool."  That isn't to say that I want the show to start making the show more tailored towards young people (the show wouldn't be very good then).  But I bet there might be some young people who would find science more fascinating.

Photo from About.com


Alexander Russo from This Week In Education seems to agree:
Previous generations have had friendly people like Isaac Asimov and Bill Nye to make the sciences more friendly to everyone. In recent years there's been all that CSI-style TV science that supposedly makes kids want to become crime scene investigators. Now we have Breaking Bad, the NSFW (warning!) cable drama that is extremely disturbing and violent and whose main character Walter is a high school chemistry teacher turned meth magician.

Also, check out this scene which lists "The 10 Most Bad-Ass Chemistry Scenes From Breaking Bad".  Here is a sample:

No comments: