Sunday, December 18, 2011

Videos for Suday: Hitchens Edition

Since the passing of Christopher Hitchens Friday, I have engulfed myself in his writings and words via YouTube, Vanity Fair, Slate, and other websites.  It is entirely way too easy to start looking up his material, and spend several hours getting lost.  Whether it is reading one of his columns or listening to him in a debate, one can feel simultaneously smarter and dumber.  Smarter, because the level of elegance and erudition he brings to the conversation.  Dumber, because of the awe-inspiring nature with which he uses his words and attacks against opponents.  One get's the feeling they could never be a match for the great Hitchens.  As a writer, I don't think I could ever match the wit, sophistication or learned-spirit that Hitchens does in his writing.  But the benchmark that he set, while ridiculously high, seems like a challengingly fun one to reach (although I will be using a thesaurus quite frequently).

I knew I wanted to use material from Hitchens for this week's video, because there is plenty of good material to use.  There is just one problem: there is too much good material out there to use.  So, I have picked a few of my favorites.  Sit back with your Sunday morning coffee (or cocktail if you prefer in the spirit of Hitch), and enjoy.

















3 comments:

Jerry said...

Pretty brave stuff for North East Nebraska! Good for you!

Jerry Webster
http://specialed.about.com

Jerry said...

Oops, sorry: I guess I elide Kansas and Nebraska.

NEKSSpedteach said...

Thanks. I greatly appreciate hearing that from you. I don't know how brave I am considering that a) I'm anonymously blogging and b) my views aren't too extreme for the area I live in since I am basically part of the Kansas City metro area. If I start driving a little further west in the state, well, that is a different story.