Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Highlight of the Day: 3/8/2011

Photo from Answers.com

Today, I went on a field trip with some of my students to the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library in Independence, MO.  It was a very pleasant trip, and there were no major problems as there easily could have been.  I enjoyed walking through the library and explaining different events that happened during the Truman Presidency to my students.  However, I am not sure they understood everything that was discussed, and I am skeptical of how much they will remember whenever we get a chance to talk about the trip in class (it is at least partially a function of their disability).  My US Social Studies classes just finished discussing the Civil War, so we haven't discussed World War II yet (although I think I will get to this very shortly).  I did tell the students from my classes that were on the trip to expect questions in class, so they should try to absorb as much information as possible.  We will see how that goes in a couple of days.

As far as what I think of President Truman, I am generally a fan.  I won't say I necessarily agree with all of his actions (e.g. dropping of atomic bombs, forcing end to railroad strike, etc.)  But overall, I believe our country was better off because of his Presidency.  And as unpopular as he was when he left office, it is interesting to see how history now views his presidency in a more positive light.  I am sure that part of the reason I am such a fan is my bias as a native Missourian.  He isn't my favorite President, but he is definitely in my Top 5.  

No comments: