Friday, September 9, 2011

Highlight of the Day: 9/9/2011

First full day of working with students.  So far, I am getting along well with the students, but that is because I am not enforcing discipline yet.  As I mentioned yesterday, the head classroom teacher told me to ease my way into confronting students about their behavior because it is important to establish a rapport first.  Next week, I will probably start stepping things up.

Here is dialogue from a conversation I had with a student:

Student: How do you like the job so far here?  Do you hate it yet?
Me: No, not yet (laugh).  So far, so good. (pause) So, are you excited it's Friday?
Student: Not really.  You can't really go do anything when your under house arrest.
Me: Oh . . . yeah, that could put a damper on things.

I have a feeling I will be having lots of conversations like that in the upcoming months.

No comments: